Monday, July 12, 2010

Versailles July 10






We were up early this morning and on a train for Versailles by 8:30 AM. What an impressive chateau and grounds the Sun King (Louis XIV) built for himself! It was a little over the top for my tastes, but then I guess if I was king of France during France's golden years I'd want something to impress my friends and enemies. We wandered through the chateau first and saw the royals' bedrooms, the famous hall of mirrors, and a few other rooms that I've already forgotten what they were used for (what a crush of people, though...I almost got claustrophobic!). We then wandered through the gardens (check out the view of the royal drive from the steps of the chateau) and to the Domaine of Marie Antoinette further away on the grounds. By the time we were done, Rich's pedometer was reading another 9+ miles.

Had a late dinner back in Paris at a very charming, very small cafe and then went for a walk to the Arc de Triomphe, climbed to the top, and walked down the Champs Elysees (crowded with people at 11:00 PM at night!) to the Place de la Concorde. By the time we got back to the hotel we were sore and tired all over and I would have given almost anything for a tub soak and a foot massage, but decided I was too tired for either and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment