Monday, July 12, 2010

Mont Blanc Alpine Hike, July 12








What an awesome day we had today! We were up early and to the Aiguille du Midi lift by 7:45 AM for a gondola ride to the top of this 12,600 foot peak. The weather was absolutely gorgeous without a cloud in the sky and the views from the top, especially of Mont Blanc (15,771 feet), were incredible. I felt a little unsteady on my feet when we first got off the gondola, but once I acclimated to the altitude, all was good. I can now understand the rush mountain climbers must get when they reach the top of whatever mountain they're climbing. You feel like you're on top of the world!

We spent quite a bit of time at the top and then took the gondola down to the Plan de l'Aiguille Refuge (7,522 feet) where we started our 3-hour hike to the Mer de Glace glacier and a town called Montenvers. It was a lot of up and down hills and scrabbling over rocks for what ended up being a descent of @ 1,300 feet. Rich is like a mountain goat on the rocks and there were a number of times he had to wait and help me over the rocks. I'm not sure what the total mileage of today's hike was, but Rich's pedometer is reading 9+ miles for today. (Take note, PTC teammates, I'm getting my mileage in, but I'm going to have to work on my pace.)

It looks like I need to bring this blog to a close, as Rich just woke up from a nap and is insisting on finding some dinner. For all the hiking and walking we did today, we haven't had a lot to eat. I think we need to wait awhile though, as thunderstorms have just moved in and it's raining like crazy outside.

1 comment:

  1. These pics are great!! So glad you found a replacement hat Dad! Oh, and how was fondu??

    ReplyDelete