Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bike Tour Day 3, July 27






Each day of our bike tour seems to get better and better. Today we rode 34 miles (the basic option) and toured the Chateau de Villandry, which is my favorite chateau so far. Although the interior of the chateau was beautiful, the gardens were absolutely stunning! (The picture I've posted doesn't do the gardens justice) We had a Backroads picnic lunch (a feast in itself) at the Chateau de Sache, which is home to the Honore de Balzac museum. (That's Matt, one of our guides, as our chef for the day)

Rich and I chose to ride the basic route today (which was a loop back to the hotel) as I had booked a 3:00 massage at the spa here at the hotel. We finished lunch @ 1:30 and then started our 12 mile ride back to the hotel. We had to stop quite often along the way to check our directions (lots of turns, etc.) and we ended up having to really book it to get back to the hotel in time, but I made it with a few minutes to spare (I had to leave Rich behind a few miles from the hotel).

Today's route was a little hillier than yesterday (especially the last 12 miles, with 2 pretty steep hills) and my legs were almost done in by the time I reached the bottom of the hill up to the chateau. I haven't walked a hill yet and I wasn't about to start, so I forced myself to keep going. By the time I saw Rich after my massage, he told me he ended up walking part way up. I think his legs are a little tired, but other than that, he's doing great!

Tomorrow we ride to a manor home in Amboise where we'll spend 2 nights. Let's hope there isn't a long hill up to the hotel!

1 comment:

  1. Dad, I never knew the Grinch could look so good :) Your hotels looks amazing, you guys really are getting spoiled!!

    ReplyDelete