Monday, August 2, 2010

Chartres, August 1




We took a train trip to Chartres today, a small town @ an hour outside of Paris with a stunning, world-class cathedral. I've never seen so many stained glass windows (although the church was so dimly lit, our pictures aren't the best). Notre Dame is nothing compared to Chartres!

We wandered around the town a little, had lunch, and then headed back to the train station to catch the 2:30 train back to Paris, hoping to have time to see the Orsay Museum in the afternoon. Little did we know that admission to the museum is free the first Sunday of the month and it was mobbed! We both decided we didn't want to see Impressionist paintings bad enough to stand in line for an hour. Instead, we wandered to the Tuilleries Garden and the Place de la Concorde and sauntered back up the Champs Elysees toward the Arc de Trimphe. This is definitely not my kind of street - way too crowded!! In fact, I think I'm done with Paris. The big city is getting to me (it's either that or the weather's taking its toll - 60 degrees and overcast). I think I've reached that point in our trip where I'm ready to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment